Some of us out there often wonder how people can treat others poorly without a single thought, care or concern for the mark they leave behind on the people in their lives or that they meet on the street, even the internet. I’ve especially wondered this myself when it concerns people who are very “Egocentric” vs. “Spiritcentric“. In order to understand the two words though, you need to define them. What does Egocentric mean?
Egocentric – Definition from Dictionary.com:
1. having or regarding the self or the individual as the center of all things: an egocentric philosophy that ignores social causes.2. having little or no regard for interests, beliefs, or attitudes other than one’s own; self-centered: an egocentric person; egocentric demands upon the time and patience of others.
3. A person who often does things for themselves with the conscious or subconscious intention of satisfying their most basic needs, including those of their ego whether it is insecurities, ideals of grandeur or something else. They often go through life unaware of the consequences of their actions until the “Clue x 4” of life smacks them in the face with reality.
Example: Boasting or speaking of a truth about yourself then later getting offended when it is brought up by someone else (especially friends) to make a general statement or point-of-reference and THEN demanding an apology of the other party for daring to use it or bring it up at all.
Example 2: Denying something that is a Fact/Truth about yourself. When you see the same trait (s) in others you can’t help but POINT the finger at them and cry for something to be done about it (*cough* Homophobia *cough*). It is because you have failed to yet accept and acknowledge this Fact/Truth ABOUT yourself first (meaning you got ISSUES to deal with within), but feel completely comfortable prosecuting others for it.
So now you might be asking, “So what makes a person Spiritcentric or Spirit based than?” A person who is “Spiritcentric” often is described as someone who believes in things like The Golden Rule, Altruism, the shoulder to cry on when things are tough, the friendly ear to listen to your troubles and woes even your darkest secrets, the person who reserves judgement to get to know the person and – honestly I could list a lot more things – but I want to keep this short.
The thing to remember about people who are Ego based is that, often times the path of “Ego” is chosen because it SEEMS or FEELS easier, when actually it does more harm than good to everyone including the person. The choice to live a life out of “Spirit” has its fair share of challenges BUT it is also the MOST rewarding in the end. A Spirit-center will forge, temper and shape you into a stronger person mentally, emotionally, spiritually and on a soul level. Think of it like the Salmon and how it migrates up rivers and streams of fresh-water JUST to get back to the perfect environment where they were born in order to lay their own young. It’s quite a struggle to go upstream vs. downstream, but they do it anyway. Why? Because it is the most ideal place and nature intended them this way.
- Small lies-big lies – Stop Lying (minapecavar.wordpress.com)
- Nature Based Spirituality – Beats Yoga, Meditation and Tai Chi for Real Change (innerwealth.me)
- The Courage To Communicate (tandaowellness.com)
- What If Who You REALLY Are Is Not What You Think? (spiriteen.com)
- ~Ego and Attachment are One~ (sahboog.wordpress.com)
- Look up to See the Big Picture. ~ Lauren Tober (elephantjournal.com)
- Humility & Confidence (springwolf.net)
- Spiritual inflation (restinginawareness.com)
- How Social Media Can Affect Spirituality by Aniya Wells (dragonintuitive.com)
- On the Manipulation of the Ego (trinitysdivinity.wordpress.com)